Middle East projects
ICM has undertaken a number of projects in The Middle East, including:
- Special events such as the FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup beach protection and 3rd Dubai Int Parachuting Champs opening ceremony marine facilities [dont miss this one - it will be televised internationally]
- Dive attaction at Jumeriah Beach Hotel, Dubai; Co-operative CSR project with local schools & Pavillions dive centre 2011 and 2012
- Detailed design and supervision for temporary and permanent beach protection works at Narai Island, Abu Dhabi (2010 - 2012
- Investigations and detailed design for dredging for reef restoration (Mit@Doc), Bahrain (2009-10)
- Concept design for beach protection for beach resort, Oman (2009)
- Design Beach protection works for Union house palace, Dubai. WBG for RTA (2008)
- Masterplanning for Jumeirah Beach Development (Africon), Dubai (2007-2008)
- Masterplanning for World Island D51 (Africon), Dubai (2007-2008)
- Maritime & Coastal Study in Zowara Abu Kamash (Africon), Libya (2007-2008)
- Bathymetric Survey in Zowara Abu Kamash (Africon), Libya (2007)
- Beach Improvement works for Al Yasat Aali Island (Waagner Biro Gulf for RTA), (2007-2008)
- Design of Multifunctional Artificial Reef, Dubai (Waagner Biro Gulf for DM), (2006-2007)
The Desert Islands, Sir Bani Yas Island
The exposed rocky barren foreshore of the Sir Bani Yas Island Hotel & Spa has been transformed into a sandy beach protected by an eco-friendly reef inline with Sir Bani Yas Island's ethos of conservation and preservation. This uniquely designed low-crested reef mimics natural fringing reefs which break waves offshore and protect the beach.
FIFA World Cup Beach Soccer, Jumeirah Beach
The site for FIFA World Cup Beach Soccer 2009 is low and is very vulnerable to overtopping. The Dubai Sports Council requested EcoCoast Marine Contracting LLC to construct a temporary, economical method of protecting the site that could be easily removed. Design was provided by International Coastal Management for a novel 300m long geotextile 'geobund'. Works were completed and fully installed in only 4 days and were to remain in place for the lead-up and duration of the event.
The Palm Jumeirah & The Palm Jebel Ali
The Palm Jumeirah and Palm Jebel Ali are two huge reclaimed islands. Shaped like date palms off the coast of Dubai, construction of this mammoth undertaking began in 2001. ICM, as subconsultants to GHD Global, developed layouts for the marinas associated with both projects.
The World Island Project
Similar to the recently completely 'The Palms', The World Island Project involves the design of over 300 reclaimed islands just off the coast of Dubai in the shape of the globe that, when completed, will be visible from space. ICM, as subconsultants to GHD Global, have developed conceptual designs for coastal engineering issues (marinas, marine transport, erosion protection, beaches ...) for stage 1 of this gigantic undertaking.